BRIEF HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL
The school started 42 years ago in 1969 as an offshot of Mt. St. Mary’s Girls Primary School. It was started by Visionary Sisters(Irish) who cared about the girl child in Kenya- Little sisters of St. Francis. It continued as a single stream school upto 1997 when the first double stream in-take was done. By then, Mary Mount had earned her place among the top performing schools in Kenya. The first double stream class left the school in the year 2000 and the performance being the best ever.
The school continued to acquire more facilities to cater for the growing number and also improve the quality of teaching and create a more conducive environment for learning. The school has acquired its own source of water (borehole),large compound,a school bus,large library and two more laboratories. In 2005,the current Principal(Sr. Catherine) started the third stream to cater for the large number of qualifying students who wanted to be in Mary Mount making the waiting list grow very large. This year,the form one waiting list had 450 applications. In 2008, the first third stream students exited the school once again with the best performance for school ever.
This implied that the number did not matter;it was the focus and dedication that is important. Improvement in facilities is on going and also to make the student identify more with their school e.g. through The School Anthem,Mission and Vision and Core Values.
WHAT MAKES MARY MOUNT UNIQUE
1. Every student is a member of Y.C.S
2. Some schools have music instruments e.g. saxophones, drums e.t.c but they don't sing well,however in Mary Mount we lack them but we sing very well.
3. Form Fours are not treated specially during K.C.S.E
4. Prefects in Mary Mount are not treated more specially than other students e.g. in terms of diet and dressing
5.Students in Mary Mount since the school's formation in 1969 have never indulged in srikes;they solve issues in diplomatic way.
6.In Mary Mount , students shower with hot water
7. Mary Mount has a unique design and colour of the uniform
8. Students are very active in co-curricular e.g games,drama
9. Have a cute bus
10. Learning has gone practical
11. Before the school decides on anything, it consults parents
12. Believe Maths is for life
13. Despite Mary Mount students coming from different diversities, we still live in unity by accepting one another
14. Doing exams without supervision